Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Visitors from England

Chrissy and I got to visit last night with my old high school friend, Katy, and her three children. We missed her husband, Geoff, who had to return to England before we were able to get over there. By "old," I mean we've known each other for 24 years, not that she's old & decrepit. In any case, she's visiting from England for the first time in 3 years or so, and had about one free night left. We went over after work to her mother's house in Laurel. It's amazing to see how much her kids have grown in such a short time! I've seen pictures on her blog, but it's not the same as seeing them in person. Alex, her youngest and her only son, warmed up to me first as we were eating pizza. We had a nice little talk about pizza crust (which is the only part he likes) and I guess he decided that I was ok. Once Olivia (the middle child - it was her 7th birthday) saw that Alex was talking to me, she decided she could talk to me. And then, when Sarah saw Olivia and Alex talking to me, she figured I was ok, too. Naturally, they took to Chrissy the moment we walked in as if they had known her all of their short lives. In any case, all three children are adorable and we had a lovely time.

Katy gave us an incredible wedding gift, too. I had forgotten she does quilting as a hobby and she made us a very nice quilt.
She didn't make the individual squares, but as I understand it, she obtained all of them through trade with other quilters for squares that she did make. So in essence, all the squares used in the quilt are a direct result of her hard work. So, we had a great time. Hopefully, it won't be another three years or more before we see her again! More than once, the topic of our flying to England was brought up. That would be nice...

No comments: