Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Sports notes

Ok, I'm not a big sports nut, but I have a few sports-related items.

I guess I should be glad I didn't spring for the Tyson fight last Friday. He apparently put up a good fight for 3 rounds, but got knocked out in the 4th. It's looking like the end of his boxing career. It's a shame he got so messed up over the years. I think he had potential to be one of the true greats in the sport. However, he squandered his talent and now has a rape conviction and $38M in debt under his (non-championship) belt. I don't understand how someone can make an estimated $400M and, as of three months ago, only have $1,250 and a Hummer SUV to show for it. "Tyson owes money to at least 246 creditors, including the Internal Revenue Service, the Screen Actors Guild and dozens of doctors, lawyers and accountants. Tyson owes his ex-wife, Monica Turner, almost $9 million from their divorce, and he hasn't paid $19.4 million in taxes to the IRS, Britain and five states." Schlabach, Mark. "The Punch Line? A Knockout Debt." The Washington Post, July 24, 2004. Bizarre...

In other sports news, the Redskins are starting training camp. The current plan is to have Brunell & Ramsey alternate in pre-season. Brunell will start on opening day. I think this is a smart move. I know, big surprise that Gibbs is being smart. I think the Skins have a real chance to kick some major booty this season. I am very excited. I am especially excited that I have tickets for the Eagles game on my birthday! :-) Yaaayyy!!!

In NASCAR news, Jimmie Johnson got fined $10K for putting a sign in front of a Power Ade bottle on top of his car after winning the Pocono race this past weekend. Power Ade is made by Coca Cola and Johnson has an exclusive sponsorship with Pepsi. So when a NASCAR official put a Power Ade bottle on top of his car after the race, he put a Lowe's sign (is primary sponsor)in front of the bottle. The only problem is that the President of NASCAR said two weeks ago that drivers could not do that. This is another think I like about NASCAR. If a driver breaks the rules, they get fined. That is why you don't have drivers who are rapists, murderers and drug dealers. NASCAR doesn't put up with it!

No comments: