Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Redskins

Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington on the acquisition of rookie Sean Taylor:  "Let him be a rookie, let him learn, give him the opportunity to be a rookie," Arrington said. "And if he exceeds that, then whoop-de-do, that's a great thing, but if he doesn't, then he's a rookie and he has to learn what it is to be a professional in this league and that takes a while. . . ."

That is one of best sports quotes I've heard in quite a while!  I hope the QB controversy settles itself.  If Ramsey is smart, he will keep his ego in check and learn as much as he can from veteran Brunell in the time Brunell has left in the league.  If he does that, by the time Brunell retires in a few years, I think Ramsey can step up and be one of the best QBs in the league!  I have the feeling his ego won't allow him to do that, though...

I have said before and will say again (although I know Gail disagrees) that I think NFL rookies should be paid league minimum for at least 2-3 years.  Once they have proven themselves, they can hold out an negotiate contracts.  I think it is complete BS that an unproven college athelete can get drafted, hold out, and get a $15M signing bonus when they haven't even proven that they can compete on a professional level!  The game is becoming all about ego and not about the game.

P.S.  Joe Schmoe 2 on Spike TV tonight!  Yaaayy!!  The return of Bryce, the Stalker!  :-)

No comments: