Thursday, July 19, 2007

All Things Potter

Well, we went to see the movie this past weekend and the book comes out on Saturday. First, the movie. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I can definitely see why it got semi-mixed reviews. It is apparent to me that the reviews that weren't so hot were written by people who don't read the books. The movie is definitely geared more toward the readers than the previous movies. At 800+ pages, Order of the Phoenix is the longest book. At 138 minutes (or so), Order of the Phoenix is the shortest movie. Goblet of Fire was a long book too, but the movie simply removed some extra sub-plots. In Order of the Phoenix, they left some of the plot points in, but didn't spend much time on them. They briefly referenced them, rather than devote significant screen time to them. I think the filmmakers assumed that the majority of the viewers would know what was going on. As a reader, I was fine with that, but I think many of the movie critics haven't read the books, so they panned the movie.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out this Saturday. We've got our copies ordered from Amazon already. They upgraded to free Saturday shipping so everyone can get the books on the same day as people who go to book stores. My predictions? They're filled with **SPOILERS**, so don't read beyond this if you haven't already read the books. 1) Dumbledore will be back. I think he figured out a way to make a horcrux without killing someone. Perhaps that's what happened to his hand. I can see him getting that twinkle in his eyes and saying, "Sorry, Harry, but I just couldn't resist giving it a try." 2) Snape will turn out to be a good guy. I don't think he should be a good guy. I think he works better as a nemesis to Harry and, perhaps, a misjudgment on Dumbledore's part. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. 3) J.K. Rowling has stated that at least two people will die. I don't think she's including Voldemort in that. My guess would be maybe Lupin (or one of the other members of the Order) and one of the Weasley parents. I don't think she'll kill off one of the main three kids (four, if you include Ginny). I could see Neville getting killed trying to avenge his parents. Oh, and as a part of this and also #2, I could see Snape sacrificing himself to save Harry. Ugh. I don't think she'd kill Hagrid, either. On the dark side, I think one of the Malfoys will be toast, probably Bellatrix Lestrange, too. 4) Ron & Hermione will officially become a couple and Harry & Ginny will be back together. 5) When all is said & done, Harry should wind up back at Hogwarts as the the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Maybe the story can flash forward to when Harry has been teaching for several years (breaking the curse) and he & Ginny (married) have just had a son, and Professor Trelawney makes a new prophecy about him growing up to stop another evil wizard. Who knows? I doubt that last part, but I do think Harry should wind up back at the school.

In any case, I'll be sad when it's all over, but it's been a hell of a ride. But you know what? That's the great thing about books. If I'm feeling nostalgic, I just pick up the book and I can experience the magic all over again.

No comments: