Monday, April 16, 2007

HOLY CRAP!!

Edward Norton has been cast in The Incredible Hulk, the sequel/franchise reboot of Ang Lee's Hulk. Damn, but this is good news! As much as I enjoyed the first movie, for whatever reason, it didn't live up to expectations. Now, I have mentioned before how unreasonable I thought those expectations were, so I won't go in to that here. After all, with a $137M budget, I can see how they would be disappointed with a $62M opening weekend and a final total of $377M worldwide. But I digress. They decided to rework things for the next movie. So they got Louis Leterrier (of Transporter fame) to direct and have stated that they will amp up the action in the sequel. That had me worried. Part of what makes the Hulk great is the Jekyll/Hyde psychological aspect, so I was worried they would completely disregard that part and just go for a Hulk-Smash-fest. I'm actually surprised Norton signed up for this. He has normally eschewed (yes, I went to college) big budget, Hollywood roles in favor for more intimate fare. Granted, he has done schlock like The Italian Job (which I do actually like) just to fulfill contractual obligations, but normally, he chooses his roles very carefully. Hopefully, this is a good sign that he sees something in Leterrier and in the script that leads him to believe that, despite the big budget and high profile, this movie is quality material. Hell, even when he phones it in, his performance is better than 90% of the actors in Hollywood.

No comments: