Saturday, February 23, 2008

Boxing at the Garden

For the first time in 23 heavyweight championship fights at Madison Square Garden, dating back to 1882, an American is not vying for the title. Wladimir Klitschko (Ukraine) will put his IBO and IBF titles on the line against the WBO tile of Sultan Ibragimov (Russia). I'm looking forward to it. I've been a big fan of both Klitschko brothers for years. Always a good fight when there's a Klitschko involved. I'm predicting Wladimir will KO Ibragimov in the 8th round.

In other boxing news, Jessie Brinkley (semi-finalist from the first season of The Contender) beat Otis Griffin (winner of the only season of The Next Great Champ). Too bad. I was rooting for Griffin. I never watched the show, and I had no clue who Griffin was, I just couldn't stand Brinkley. I think he is an arrogant jerk, and not nearly as good as he thinks he is. I was hoping he'd get his ass whooped. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be.

Finally, speaking of The Contender, fan fave (and one of mine) from Season One, Alfonso Gomez, is getting a shot at the welterweight title. On April 12, Gomez is fighting the current WBA champ Miguel Cotto. I think this will be Gomez's toughest fight to date. I would love to see him rise to the occasion and take the title. I think Gomez is a talented fighter and all-around good guy. He deserves the best. Go Alphonso!

No comments: