Thursday, February 21, 2008

Idol - The Ladies

Well, contrary to what the judges seemed to say at the end of the show, I don't think the ladies did as well as the guys did the night before. Also, I won't beat a dead horse, but Randy needs to let it go. Stop mentioning age, Randy!! Kristy started off well with Rescue Me. It wasn't a spectacular performance, and you could tell she was nervous, but she was good. And damn, she's cute! Anyway, Joanne followed with I Say a Little Prayer for You. I don't care for the song and it wasn't a very good performance. I worry about her. I really like Joanne, but she's got Mandisa syndrome. Because she's a bigger girl, and America basically has a prejudice about size/weight, she has to really bring it every week or risk getting booted. Not fair, but reality. She may get by on past performance, though. Alaina sang More Today Than Yesterday. Chikezie sang this the night before, and Alaina blew him out of the water. Her voice in the interview was a bit annoying, but her voice in the song was amazing. Great performance and no nerves showing. Amanda the Rocker Nurse sang Baby, Please Don't Go. I don't know this song, and it wasn't a powerhouse vocal, but it was fun enough that she'll make it through this week. I disagree with Paula, though, that Amanda has proven she's not a one-trick pony. She hasn't proven it yet. She will need to show some range if she wants to make it past next week. Amy stunk up the joint with Where the Boys Are. Bad song choice, bad performance. Not just struggling with nerves or the flu, but Bad. If she sang like that at the audition, she would not have made it to Hollywood. Brooke the Nanny sang a fun rendition of Happy Together. Not quite as good as David C.'s version from the night before, but good enough to make it to next week. Alexandrea (regardless of how you pronounce it) gave the best performance of the night to this point singing Spinning Wheel. This girl is a force to be reckoned with. I'm not sure what show Simon was watching last night. 99 times out of 100, I agree with Simon. Every now and then, though, he gets PMS or something and goes way off the reservation. Last night was one of those nights. Kady was a bit bland singing Groovy Kind of Love, which I've always thought was a bit of a bland song anyway. She's cute, though, and with the Britney impression, will probably make it another week. She'll have to step it up to make it past that. Asia'h (hate the weird spelling) had the best performance of the night with Piece of My Heart. If she continues at the level she has been, I think she'll make the top 3 along with Jason C. and Michael. Ramiele sang a restrained performance of You Don't Have to Say You Love Me. Given the expectation for her to belt it out, I think it served her well to keep it in on this song. It could have come across as shouting. That's a danger with a voice as big as hers. Syesha kicked butt singing Tobacco Road. I've heard this song on Idol before, but I can't say I'm familiar with it aside from that. However, Syesha made me not care. Girl can sing. Carly finished with The Shadow of Your Smile. I like Carly, and the performance was good, but not anywhere close to best of the top 24. Don't know what Randy was smoking. Best of the night were Alexandrea and Asia'h. Amy's definitely going home. Not sure about the second. Hate to say it, but I think Joanne will go, too. I hope not, but I can't think of who else I think would deserve it based on last night's performances.

No comments: