Monday, February 11, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Well, the Redskins have a new Head Coach. Jim Zorn, the former Offensive Coordinator. Well, as of the 25th, he was the Coordinator. Before that, he was the QB Coach in Seattle. Interesting choice. I don't really know much about him, so I can't form much of an opinion of him yet. I'm curious to see what he does with personnel. It makes me nervous that he's already talking about hiring Stump Mitchell for Running Backs Coach when just last week, Earnest Byner signed a one-year extension to his contract. Unless Byner is bumped up to the Coordinator position. That would be interesting. On a side note, speaking of interesting, Bill Lazor, the former Redskins QB coach, signed with Seattle to replace Zorn as QB coach there. Funny.

Also, R.I.P. to Roy Scheider, who passed away this weekend. Cause of death was not reported, but it was confirmed that he had been battling myeloma for the past two years. To me, he will always be Police Chief Martin Brody from Jaws. When I think of him, I think of my sister Gail and our endless joking about the line, "You're gonna need a bigger boat," and the cigarette in his mouth bouncing up & down on the alliterative b's.

It appears as though the writer's strike is over. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, naturally, I'm quite happy. While I don't know all the details about the deal, I think it comes down to (as I speculated before), if the network or studio is making money on it, the writer gets a piece of the action. Sounds pretty simple. Two problems with the strike ending now: 1) Since we are still partly through the season, I'm sure the writers will be rushed back to the shows to try to crank our some crap to tack on to the end of the season. I would rather they simply leave this season short, and put their energy into creating good episodes next season. 2) I was looking forward to making more progress on my Netflix queue. Since there was a dearth of new programming on the networks, I was actually starting to see some movement on the queue. Hopefully, I'll see some more before the new shows return.

No comments: